Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fresh Salsa

I love making my own salsa - I never buy it anymore because it's really quick and easy! I posted a while back about making salsa in the blender with canned tomatoes. I love that recipe because, like I said, it's quick and easy and always turns out very yummy.

But sometimes I like a good fresh salsa as well. Tomatoes were on sale for $0.33 a pound when we did our grocery shopping this week, and we got a LOT of them! We also got jalapenos, because they were also on sale. I have a recipe for fresh salsa that my sister gave to me a long time ago. It uses essentially the same basic ingredients as the other salsa I make, except fresh tomatoes instead of canned and you just chop everything instead of using the blender. I hadn't made this salsa in quite a while, but decided that this would be the perfect time! Oh, it turned out so good! We ate the whole batch in one sitting.


Fresh Salsa
2 cups seeded and finely chopped tomatoes (about 4 to 5 small)
1 stalk green onion, finely chopped (I used about 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion)
1 to 2 hot peppers (green, red, serrano, jalapeno) seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp. lime juice (or lemon)
2 to 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, snipped into small pieces (substituted dried parsley)
1 small green pepper, seeded and finely chopped (didn't have, didn't add)
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, minced

Stir all ingredients together and cover, then chill for 2 hours or up to 2 days.


We served this over Cheesy Chips: Spread tortilla chips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Sprinkle liberally with shredded cheddar, then sprinkle with chili powder. Heat in hot oven (about 450 degrees) until cheese is hot and melted.

6 comments:

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Thanx so much for posting this. Our family LOVES salsa and i've wanted to try my hand at making it for some while and this will be the perfect chance.

Kaitlin said...

There's nothing better than fresh salsa, I love it, and yours looks awesome!

Katy ~ said...

A feast for the eyes and the body.

Anonymous said...

I love fresh salsa, but we eat so much salsa (especially when it's fresh) I don't think I could go without also using store salsa! Cilantro is one of my favorites. I try to plan more than one thing in the week that I can use it in when I buy it. It can go in pretty much anything Mexican and most things Asian (like stir-frys or Asian salads).

Julie said...

I've never been very good at making my own salsa. I'll have to give this a try.

Melanie said...

Oh Yum! Just made my mouth water:)

I'll be trying this soon...Thanks!