Sunday, June 14, 2009

German Pizza

This was a really easy dinner to put together, and pretty quick too. It called for ingredients I keep on hand, always a plus. Add the fact that it was hearty and delicious, and we've got a real winner! I did adjust the recipe quite a bit, because it's just me and the kids tonight and I was using a smaller skillet than called for.

The recipe came from the same booklet that the turkey divan recipe came from. I always enjoy the dishes I try from that little book! I got it a few years ago free for previewing a different, larger cookbook from Taste of Home. I didn't keep the large book, but got to keep this little one and it has been so fun. This is the first time I've tried this particular recipe, and I wonder why it took me so darn long!


German Pizza
1 pound ground beef (reduced to 1/3 pound)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, diced (substituted celery)
1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. butter or margarine
6 medium potatoes, peeled and finely shredded (used 3, didn't bother peeling)
3 eggs, beaten (used 2)
1/3 cup milk (used 1/4 cup)
2 cups shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese (used about 1/2 cup mozzarella)

In a 12-inch stove-top or electric skillet over medium heat (I used a 9-inch skillet), brown beef with onion, green pepper, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper. Remove meat mixture from skillet and drain fat.

Reduce heat to low. Melt butter in skillet; spread potatoes over butter and sprinkle with remaining salt. Top with beef mixture. Combine eggs and milk; pour over all. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.

Top with cheese; cover and heat until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges or squares to serve.

Ketchup made a tasty addition!

6 comments:

Megan said...

This looks really simple & tasty! Thanks for sharing another great recipe. I really enjoy visiting your blog!

Katy said...

This is definitely something we'd enjoy. Saving this one!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Fun Foods On a Budget" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info

Clarity said...

That looks so hearty and rustic. Have you ever tried a German Curry Wurst? It's basically a sausage, with ketchup and a heap of curry powder poured on top.

Meg said...

I love it! What a fun flavor combination!

Just a reminder to update your RSS for my new site:
http://megansmunchies.com/

Lia said...

Long story, but my adopted sister is German and we often have German food just for her benefit, well I see her every Saturday, so I will be trying this out on her.

Will let you know how she gets on with it.

It does sound yummy, roll on Saturday.