Saturday, June 13, 2009

Turkey Divan

This is such a delicious dish! Tender broccoli, big chunks of turkey, creamy and tangy sauce, yum! We had some broccoli that needed to be used, and yesterday Jeff brought a bag of cooked turkey down from the freezer to thaw. It seemed like a good idea to combine them, and I found this delicious recipe to do just that. It's one I've been wanting to try for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it. The recipe comes from a small Taste of Home recipe booklet I've had for a long time, and have tried several recipes from. It was originally for Chicken Divan, but since when do I follow a recipe word for word? ;-)


Turkey Divan
2 pkgs (10 oz each) frozen broccoli or 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, washed, cut in spears, and lightly steamed (I boiled them, not wanting to bother getting out the steamer)
1 1/2 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-size pieces (or of course you could use chicken)
Sauce:
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted (I made a batch of white sauce instead)
1/2 cup mayonnainse
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. chicken broth
1/4 cup Parmesan (I omitted this as we are out at the moment, but it would be good with it)

Arrange broccoli spears on bottom of 1 1/2 qt. buttered casserole; sprinkle turkey or chicken pieces over broccoli. Combine sauce ingredients; spoon over top of broccoli/turkey. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30 minutes.

This was so delicious served over rice.

4 comments:

Katy ~ said...

I haven't had a divan in AGES. Boy does it look good!

Tina Butler said...

I have been wanting to try chicken divan for awhile now. I guess the mayonaise always turns me off. Can you really notice it in the recipe? I bet you cant. The turkey variation looks goo.

Rebekah said...

yummy! my mom used to make this when I was little! it's ssssooooo good!

Stephanie said...

Tina - The mayonnaise adds a bit of tartness and richness, but it really doesn't make the sauce take on a mayonnaise flavor. I think you'd enjoy it. :-)