Sunday, August 17, 2008

Homemade Salsa


I found a blog today called 50s Housewife. Mostly I was looking for homemaking blogs, because I am in serious need of inspiration and motivation in that area. But this lovely housewife also has a fair share of delicious-looking recipes on her blog. I was really excited when I found her recipe for Easy Homemade Salsa. We have several fresh jalapenos from my parents' garden, and they have been waiting to be used (I actually can't believe that we've had them for several days and have only just now started using them!) so I knew I had to give this simple recipe a try.

I'm glad I did. The 50s Housewife says, "I don't thinks it's ever lasted more than 24 hours at my house. My husband nearly drinks the stuff." It's so true - Jeff couldn't get enough of this salsa, he would have been drinking it out of the bowl if I hadn't slapped his hand away - I wasn't done with it yet!

Homemade Salsa
1 can diced tomatoes - it looks like she uses a 28 oz can, I just used a 14 oz
1/4 to 1/2 of an onion - I used about 1/3
About a teaspoon bottled minced garlic
Fresh cilantro - I didn't have this, and substituted a couple tablespoons dry parsley
1 fresh jalapeno
Salt to taste

Toss everything in your blender. Or set it in gently. Either way.


Whirl it around in the blender until it's the right consistency and texture. Then you're done! You can let it sit in the fridge for a while to allow the flavors to blend, but it's easy to get impatient. :-)

Calories per 1/4 cup - about 15


I made some quesadillas specially to go with this salsa. I made the tortillas from scratch using the recipe on the back of our bag of Masa harina, then cooked them on the stove with cheese to make quesadillas. I didn't get any pictures of the quesadillas, because we were too busy eating them. Fresh homemade quesadillas served with fresh homemade salsa are so delicious!

One of the best parts about this is that I finally got a chance to use my beautiful little salsa bowls that I bought at D.I. a few weeks ago. They're just like the ones used in Mexican-American restaurants. Lotsa fun!

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

What a fun plate to show off your super easy recipe!

Jenny said...

Mmm, I haven't made blender salsa in a long time, I think I'll try your recipe next time I do! Look great!

priscilla joy said...

that looks great! i love salsa well, anything mexican and that plate is so festive!