Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tartar Sauce

I was just thinking today that it was about time to post another recipe. Then tonight as we were eating our delicious dinner of salmon patties and tartar sauce, it hit me that I had a great recipe to post! So here it is.

A few years ago, my sister Michelle gave me a binder full of some of her favorite recipes. I use several on a regular basis, and this is one of them. Before she gave me this recipe, I didn't realize how easy and inexpensive it can be to make your own tartar sauce. It turns out deliciously creamy, and perfectly compliments a variety of seafood dishes. We served it with the salmon patties that I have posted about previously.


Tartar Sauce
3/4 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
1/4 cup drained dill or sweet relish (if you don't have any relish, just finely chop a bunch of pickles like I did tonight)
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 tbsp. parsley
2 tsp. capers, drained (I've never added these)

In a small bowl stir all ingredients together. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving. Cover and chill leftovers for up to one week.

See how simple that is? A few basic ingredients and some chilling time and you've got yourself some incredibly delicious tartar sauce. Yum!

4 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Looks very good indeed! I've only made tartar sauce with just the mayo & sweet relish. I like the added ingredients (I'd leave out the capers, too!). Saving this.

theUngourmet said...

Just hopping over from Katy's blog to say hello!

I love your blog! I also love making my own tarter sauce. This recipe looks great!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Can't wait to try out this recipe. I love tartar sauce but rarely by it.

What a pretty dish too.

Dr. Alice said...

I'm a big fan of homemade tartar sauce - it takes just a couple minutes and it's easy! I like mine with minced onion, capers (yes, I am a fan), sweet pickle relish and a bit of chopped green olive as well if I am up for that.