Monday, June 8, 2009

Banana Cupcakes with Maple Buttercream


Zaylee and I were hanging out in my room, and she happened to find her little pint-sized apron on the floor. She immediately put it on and declared, "I will help you cook, Mommy!" Well, with a statement like that I had to obey! She had me put on my own apron and we started looking at recipes. She decided she wanted cake, and I decided I wanted to use up the three spotted bananas in the fridge. Hence this delicious banana cake!

My 9x13 pan was dirty though, so I did cupcakes instead. Zaylee didn't mind at all.


Banana Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup buttermilk (add 1/2 tsp. lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 cup milk)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs

Heat oven to 350. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners (24 cupcakes). Or grease bottom and sides of 9x13 pan and flour lightly.

Beat all ingredients in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Spoon into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 full, or pour into prepared pan.

Bake cupcakes 20-23 minutes, 9x13 pan 45-50 minutes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack, cool big cake in pan. Frost with Maple Buttercream.


Maple Buttercream
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup maple-flavored syrup

Mix powdered sugar and butter in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed. Stir in syrup, and beat until creamy.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

I wouldn't mind cupcakes instead of cake either! ;o) Love the maple buttercream frosting!

CanadianMama said...

Ok, I have to admit, the spam recipe didn't do it for me but this one looks amazing! I will be trying it very soon :)

Crafty and Classy said...

Oh yummy!

Michelle said...

I was wondering what you two ended up making. My kids would love these, but they'll have to wait until baby is here before I make something that yummy. All that sugar.... *sniff* They look seriously yummy!