Monday, August 4, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots


I decided around noon today that I wanted a Crock Pot dinner. So I began to peruse through my favorite slow cooking blog, A Year of CrockPotting. I knew that I would find what I was looking for. I didn't know what it was yet, but I was sure to know it when I saw it. That's the way I am around recipes sometimes.

When I came across Company's Coming Potatoes Augratin, I knew I had found it - tonight's dinner! As usual, I changed stuff around because I didn't have many of the key ingredients (in this case, parsnips and heavy cream). So it's pretty much a different recipe now, but that's okay. We thought it tasted great! And one day, I would like to try this with parsnips. I've never had parsnips before.

Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots
3 medium potatoes
2 small carrots
1/2 small onion
4 tbsp. butter or margarine
3 tbsp. flour
1 can evaporated milk
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Slice potatoes, carrots, and onion. Layer in the bottom of the crock pot. I have a 3-quart, that's why I halved the original recipe. If yours is bigger, use more ingredients so you can fill the pot. It cooks better when it's about 2/3 - 3/4 full.

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for a couple minutes. Slowly add evaporated milk and seasonings. Pour over veggies in pot.

Cook on low 8-9 hours or on high 4-5 hours. It gets nice and browned.


5 servings
250 calories per serving

This was a simple and delicious meal, and I think it's one we'll definitely make again.

6 comments:

Stephanie ODea said...

I'm so glad that you made this and were happy with the results! I hadn't bought/tried parsnips before or since, either.

xoxo
steph

Anjanette said...

oh, I'm making this too! I'm going to try it today and then bring it to our next pot luck - I'm always struggling to think of things that no one else will have brought. Our standard contribution is deviled eggs - they know we've got that covered haha - but we're supposed to bring two dishes...

Michelle said...

Okay, you have radishes that are all bite. Potatoes that are no bite. Turnips have a tiny bit of bite but a slightly bitter taste so you serve with lots of butter or in a stew. Parsnips have kind of the consistency of boiled potatoes when cooked, and a slight radishy bite. Very slight. Think big potato with a hint of radish and more earthy. The one I cooked didn't have the bitter turnip taste. Turnips are fat and are white and purple, Parsnips look like fat, white carrots. Boil some of both with potato and mash with butter and it's really good... and is the traditional accompianment to Scottish Haggis....

Looks yummy by the way!

Stephanie said...

Okay, thanks for the descriptions. I now feel better equipped for if I decide to get creative while veggie-shopping! :-)

And I think I'll skip the Haggis - I know what they put in that stuff, and it's not pretty!

LisAway said...

This sounds really yummy! If I'm honest (and I usually am, okay, ALWAYS am) it looks a little iffy, but I recognize that iffyness and therefore am aware that it = yumminess. And thanks for pointing me in the direction of the slow cooking blog!

LisAway said...

I meant to say that I plan on making it, thus diffusing what might have been seen as the slightly rude tone of my comment (about the iffiness- that's how I meant to spell it before).