Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Corn Cakes


Corn meal makes some deliciously cheap breakfasts. From corn meal mush, to coffee cake, to corn cakes!

Corn Cakes
1 1/4 cups corn meal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten

Sift together dry ingredients. Add egg and milk and mix just until combined.

Cook like pancakes on a hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet, until golden brown, turning once.

These were good with butter and syrup, but when I added some freezer peach jam, they were really good! I didn't get pics of the cakes with jam, because by the time I added it, the plate was all messy. But it sure tasted great.

8 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

These look delicious and the coffee cake too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds very good, I'll have to give these a try. I also like to use cornmeal for polenta. If you've not tried this you are in for a big treat.

Jenny said...

I love corncakes! They look perfect and golden. Now I'm hungry!

Michelle said...

My boys would love these! Any excuse to have syrup in the morning... They look really yummy!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

My kids will really like these!

American Homemaker said...

I'll have to try these... they look yummy
www.theamericanhomemaker.blogspot.com

Michele said...

I haven't had corn cakes in ages....guess what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love cornmeal pancakes! Those look good. I like how thick they are. Perhaps I'll make some real soon!