Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Breakfast Crisp - An Alternative to Muffins

I wanted something a little more than just fried eggs or cereal for breakfast today, so I searched "breakfast" on allrecipes.com. This recipe came up and looked pretty yummy, so I gave it a go. It ended up being very easy and tasting pretty good, almost like eating a giant oatmeal cookie for breakfast! It would also make a great dessert, served with some ice cream.


Breakfast Crisp
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats (I used regular rolled oats)
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 9x9 inch baking pan (I used a glass pie dish). In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together brown sugar and margarine. Beat in egg. Stir mixtures together just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.

8 comments:

Rebekah said...

this looks yummy! may have to try it this weekend!! thanks! how are you feeling?

Rachelle S said...

I have heard of this, as baked oatmeal! Sounds good, I may have to try this. Do you pour warm milk over it, or eat it as is?

btw, I've added you to my Fav cooks at AR =)

Katy ~ said...

Yummmm....I bet this is very very good.

Stephanie said...

Rachelle - we just ate it as is, but I bet it would be great with milk as well! Something to try next time.

theUngourmet said...

This looks so hearty and delicious! I love oats in things!

Tiffaney said...

Yum! This looks so good. I'll have to try it before the weather gets too hot:D (our ac isn't working) although some icecream might cool it down nicely.....:P

Angi said...

It looks so yummy! We used to make something like this when I was a kid, only we'd use apples or peaches in it too. I'm starting to drool now...

Kristen said...

What a fun alternative to regular oatmeal. I am going to copy this and try it soon. thanks.