Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Baked Beans with Hot Dogs - Freezer Meal

Just a basic Baked Bean recipe that I added hot dogs to. Beans freeze really well, so they make an ideal freezer meal no matter how you cook them! Like with the bean soup, I used half black beans and half black-eyed peas. Other beans or bean combinations can be used; the actual recipe suggests navy beans.

At this point I'm running low on room in the freezer, and bemoaning the fact that I have no room or money for a chest freezer! I may or may not have to go on a freezer meal hiatus after these beans, until I can use up some of the stuff we've got in the freezer and make more room for meals. :-) We'll see how it goes. But I sure am having fun stocking my freezer with all these meals! With these baked beans, there is now a total of twelve meals and twenty burritos in my freezer. Awesome.

Ick, yucky picture. Lighting is all weird lately. Too bright for the bowl, too dark for the beans. Sigh.

Baked Beans with Hot Dogs
1 lb. dry beans
2 quarts water
1/2 cup molasses (wasn't sweet enough for me, I also added 1/2 cup brown sugar)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 package hot dogs, sliced

Soak beans in water overnight or by quick method. In same liquid, bring beans to a boil and simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain, reserving liquid.

Combine beans with remaining ingredients in a 2 quart casserole. Add bean liquid to cover. Bake 4-8 hours at 275, adding liquid occasionally if necessary. Cover during first half of baking time, then uncover.

Or you can do it in the crock pot - I chose to because I didn't want the added heat of running the oven for four hours! Combine beans with remaining ingredients in crock pot. Add bean liquid to barely cover. You won't need as much liquid as if you were doing it in the oven, because the liquid won't cook off. Cook on low overnight.

Freezer Meal: By now you should know the drill - let the beans cool, then spoon into freezer containers, canning jars, or freezer bags. Freeze. To use, thaw in refrigerator and reheat in a saucepan over medium heat.

5 comments:

joannabug said...

This series is fabulous, Stephanie. Your suggestions are time-saving, convenient, and inexpensive. Thanks for sharing!

I've loved it so much (!) that I linked to it in a post within a series I've been doing on immigrant cooking. I hope that's okay!

Stephanie said...

That's totally fine! Thanks for letting me know you appreciate the series - I know I've been having tons of fun with it!

Tiffaney said...

You have totally inspired me to make freezer meals. I'm making up a list right now :-D

Stephanie said...

Yay! I've made an impact! Phase 1 in my plan to rule the world through cheap frozen meals is nearly completed, bwahahaha! ;-)

Katy ~ said...

I agree. While I'm not one to freeze foods for future use, I totally support and appreciate these kinds of posts. Some day when I get a real freezer and become organized, I will be better prepared because of the knowledge you have shared.