Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summer Cherry Cake

Oh yum. This was so fantastic! I saw this recipe earlier today on My Muffin Thursdays. We just bought cherries yesterday for $.88 per pound and have been eagerly snacking on them. But I knew they needed to be used quickly or they would go bad - we bought them near the end of the sale knowing they only had a couple more days left to go. This cake looked so simple and so delicious that I knew I had to make it!

And I'm so glad I did. This is a very delicious cake. The cherries are soft and moist, and the cake is buttery and tasty, with a crispy and flaky top "crust" that formed as it baked. Oh, it was so yummy!


Summer Cherry Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup flour
2 cup cherries, pitted (sweet, if using sour increase sugar to 1 cup)

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Sift in salt, baking powder, and flour.

Pour batter into a sprayed 8" cake pan (I used a greased 8-inch square pan) and poke cherries through the batter, pushing to all different levels. After this I added a step of lightly spreading the batter over the cherries, since pushing them in had made the batter very uneven and funny-looking on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Oooh, look at that delicious cake! Doesn't it look so beautiful?


Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.


Yeah. REALLY glad that I made this cake, heeheehee...

11 comments:

jana mae said...

I made it today too! :) I click through sometimes on the blog links you have and couldn't resist trying that one out. Yours looks much prettier than mine... but wow is it delicious! I also bought cherries, but they are already starting to go bad. I was pleased to find this recipe. Anyway, thanks for posting yours... and I'm glad we are enjoying our cherry cakes together. :)

bridget {bake at 350} said...

That picture of it in the pan makes me want to grab a fork and DIG IN!!!

Tiffaney said...

Now I know what we're having for lunch.....YUM!!

Frances said...

Oh, No! Now I have to take some of the cherries that I have frozen, to make jam later in the year, out of the freezer to make this.

It looks delish!

Katy ~ said...

Those cherries peeking through in that tender cake are making me want a huge square of cake! Why can't I reach through the screen and just grab a piece!!

Kimmie said...

Wow....yummy looking cake. Did you use tart cherries (like you would use for a pie), OR, sweet cherries?

I would like to make this, but want to make sure the right cherries are used.

I love all of your FUN recipes!

Have a great day!

Tina Butler said...

That looks great stefanie. The cherries are beautiful and I love the simple powdered sugar topping.

Marisa said...

That looks so yummy! I love almond flavoring when it's added in a cake--so I bet this is so good!

Stephanie said...

Kimmie - I used Bing cherries, which are sweet. If you use sour cherries, increase the sugar to 1 cup. :-)

Valerie said...

I like cherries and this looks good!

Anonymous said...

I want to go buy some cherries right now just to make this! It looks so good!