Tuesday, July 28, 2009

My Kitchen My World - Ukraine (late...)

This post is several days late, I think. But I wanted to make these dishes anyway because they looked so delicious and I had the ingredients. So here is my late submission to My Kitchen My World, Ukraine!


Cabbage with Tomatoes
1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter or bacon fat
3 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. butter or bacon fat
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup diced canned tomatoes
1 tbsp. sugar, or to taste
2 tbsp. sour cream
Salt & freshly ground pepper
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes

Saute the onion in a large frying pan until tender. Add the cabbage and water and cook, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender but still slightly crisp.

In another pan, melt the butter or bacon fat. Add the flour, stir to blend, and add the tomatoes and sugar. Cook until the sauce thickens. Add the sour cream and season to taste with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes

Combine the sauce with the cabbage and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.


Sour Cream Cucumber Salad
3 medium cucumbers
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1/2 cup fresh chopped dill (I cheated and used dry dill)
1 tbsp. white vinegar
Dash white pepper
1/4 cup (add more depending on your taste and size of cucumbers)

Peel cucumbers and slice thinly. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain liquid. Add green onions, dill, vinegar, and white pepper. Toss lightly with sour cream.


Served with some fresh homemade bread, this was a tasty Ukrainian meal (though I do admit it probably would have been more authentic had I made rye bread. Oh well, no one's perfect). I think these are probably more along the lines of adult taste, as my usually unpicky children wanted nothing to do with anything on their plates except the bread. But Jeff and I really enjoyed the cabbage and the salad.

Both of these delicious recipes came from Nash Holos, "a blog about Ukrainian music, musicians, radio, TV, internet, culture and community in Canada, Ukraine and elsewhere." This blog has lots of yummy looking Ukrainian recipes that I would love to try! Especially the many desserts, mmmmm...

5 comments:

Tiffaney said...

You find the tastiest recipes! I don't think my children would go for this either, but I would like it :-). I have a question about freezing meals: How do you cool it before you freeze your meals? Do you let it cool down as you eat dinner? Do you put it in chilled water? What works best for you?

CanadianMama said...

Mmm, the cabbage with tomatoes looks wicked good! I'm trying this soon!!

Stephanie said...

Tiffaney - I usually just let it sit on the stove until it was a bit cooler. But for food safety you should probably set the pan in cold water in the sink or something, to cool it faster, so there's less chance of bacteria growing and stuff. :-)

Rebekah said...

my husband will go ga-ga for this, i must make it for him and soon!!!

Katy ~ said...

The cabbage and tomatoes catch my eye as well. Ole Sweetie-Pi would never go near it, but I could probably eat the whole pan LOL