Monday, November 3, 2008

Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potatoes

I had sweet potatoes for the first time a year or so ago at my sister's house. She did up some sweet potato fries that were absolutely delicious and I fell in love. Now we enjoy getting sweet potatoes on occasion as a special treat. As far as potatoes go, they're a bit pricey (compared to russet potatoes) but as vegetables they're not bad at all. And they are just so delicious! We bought a couple last week, and I cooked them on Saturday, a nice healthy dish to sort of counteract all the candy that we'd been eating. This recipe comes from allrecipes.com.


Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil (I used canola oil)
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (I accidentally doubled this)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (didn't have it, didn't use it)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper (omitted, because of the extra black pepper)

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F.

Place the sweet potato chunks into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, chili powder, and cayenne pepper over top. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over with a spatula, and continue baking until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more


Just as the title suggest, these are sweet and spicy. This was a simple recipe to prepare, and we all enjoyed the delicious little sweet potato cubes!

9 comments:

Lisa Stepi said...

oh yummy, these look so delicious! they look perfect!

priscilla joy said...

sorry Stephanie - i used my sister's account AGAIN...nooo!

Barbara Bakes said...

I've recently discovered sweet potato fries as well. This recipe looks great!

Maria said...

Sweet potatoes are my all time fav! I will have to try the spicy version!

Shelby said...

I had sweet potato fries for the first time a few years ago at Cheeseburger in Paradise in Indianapolis. I have craved them ever since! These look delish!

Meg said...

I love all the flavors combined in these sweet potatoes! I will definitely have to try these!

Patsyk said...

I'd love those potatoes! That spice combination could be addictive!

Joan said...

Oh my gosh! Those look great. That is a great fall dish.

Jen said...

This is brilliant! I've only eaten sweet potatoes as either a stuffed potato or at Thanksgiving! You've given me a great idea to try TONIGHT! Thanks.