Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mayonnaise Muffins

I got a new cookbook at a thrift store today. Actually, it's definitely not new, but I'm pretty excited about it anyway. It's the Southern Living 1983 Annual Recipes book - the compilation of every Southern Living recipe from the year that I was born. Yippee!!!


As I was leafing through, wondering if I might find something interesting to make for lunch, I came across this recipe for Mayonnaise Muffins and fell in love. These are so easy and quick! I will definitely keep my universal muffin recipe for when I have specific ingredients I want to use, but this recipe is awesome for its sheer simplicity. And with only three ingredients (five if you don't have self-rising flour) it's super cheap too!


Mayonnaise Muffins
1 cup self-rising flour (or substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour [I used some wheat flour], 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 cup milk

Combine all ingredients; stir until smooth. Spoon batter into greased 6-cup muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 425 for 10 to 12 minutes. Yield: 1/2 dozen (I doubled the recipe to make a full dozen).

So quick and easy! The muffins don't have a distinct flavor of their own, and therefore lend themselves splendidly to both sweet and savory accompaniments. Served with butter and jam, alongside carrot and celery sticks, they made a delicious lunch.

Don't forget to enter my chocolate truffle giveaway - you have until tomorrow (Friday) evening! :-)

10 comments:

Shelby said...

Oh Stephanie. When you said since the year you were born (1983) I felt so old! lol. My oldest son was born in 1985!

I have never seen a recipe like this one!

Leslie M. said...

Hi Steph,
I wonder if you can use Fat free mayo and low fat Vanilla Almond Breeze (Almond Milk)?
I don't see why not... Gosh how simple are these muffins??

Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

Mama said...

That sounds almost exactly like a simple Weight Watchers biscuit recipe I used to use...except I think I used sour cream or plain yogurt instead of mayo. Yum!!

Meg said...

Wow! I would have never thought that muffins could be made with mayo!

tamilyn said...

Yeah, super, like I wasn't feeling old enough with my oldest turning 18 today. Now I read this and realize that I graduated high school when you were turning 1!!!

American Homemaker said...

I just posted a giveaway too :) Those muffins look quick and easy!

Tina Butler said...

Those muffins look quick and easy. I love going to thrift stores and browsing around in the cookbook. You can find so many vintage cookbooks.

Becca said...

These sound so delicious. I've also never thought to look for a cookbook at a thrift store. I have only looked at garage sales and used bookstores. Thanks for both ideas!

Trippler said...

I ran out of both breakfast muffins and sour cream which I normally use when baking them. For some reason, I got the idea that muffins could be made with mayo though I never tried them before. A quick online look revealed tons of recipes for mayo muffins. And that's what I will be working on in a few minutes - am eagerly looking forward to them.


Cooking is my hobby so a word of advice from this old bachelor: if you have a son or grandson and want to do him a big favor, teach him how to cook. It is the world's greatest hobby!

Trippler said...

had a nice large mayo muffin for breakfast - it was yummy!!!