Monday, February 16, 2009

Jeff's Favorite Lemon Bars

Jeff loves lemon-flavored desserts. Lemon pie, lemon pudding cake (which we made for his birthday last year) and lemon bars all put a silly, happy grin on his face. This is the recipe Jeff always uses when the urge for lemon bars takes over. They are lightly crispy on top, gooey in the middle, and have a soft, cookie-like crust.


Lemon Bars
1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
4 eggs, beaten lightly
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
Rind of one lemon, grated (we skip this; despite Jeff's love of lemon, he detests zest)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan.

For crust, cream together butter and powdered sugar. Add salt and 2 cups flour, and mix well. Pat gently into greased pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

For filling, combine remaining ingredients. Mix well (the more you beat and the frothier it gets, the crispier the top - yummy!) and pour over hot crust.

Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. When done sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut when cool.

7 comments:

Bridget said...

My mouth is watering just looking at that!

Angie said...

I love lemon bars. My fiance doesn't though. Its nice that these are all ingredients I already have at home. I can make it one day on a whim when he isn't paying attention!

Thanks

Meg said...

These look perfect! My husband loves lemon desserts!

Rebecca said...

Ohhhh my hubby is a lemon lover too & he's getting these this weekend! Thanks!

Becca said...

My roommate loves lemon bars and I love to bake. I just may have to try these. Thanks!

Suz said...

My mom loves lemon bars... might have to bookmark this and come back to it when I have the ingredients on hand.

thanks for a yummy gift idea!

American Homemaker said...

I love lemon bars :) So yummy! My mom used to make them all the time when I was younger.