Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Snickerdoodles!

I used to not really care for snickerdoodles. It's not that I didn't like them, but I've always been a chocolate chip cookie kind of person, and snickerdoodles were a bit too plain and cake-like for my tastes. But tastes change; I know mine definitely have as I've grown older. I've learned to enjoy a great many foods that didn't interest me when I was younger, especially when I try making them myself. Coleslaw, apple pie, pineapple on pizza, and a variety of other things have become much more appetizing to me this way. And now I can add snickerdoodles to the list.

This is the first time I've made snickerdoodles (I know, a travesty!), and I could not get enough of them! I found that I loved them the best about 5-10 minutes after taking them out of the oven - they were warm, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. And sooooooo delicious!


Snickerdoodles
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup shortening
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Heat oven to 400.

Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs in large bown with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.

Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet (Zaylee helped me with this step. It was so cute to see her rolling handfuls of dough into balls and rolling them in the cinnamon sugar. She actually did a pretty good job of it! Thomas helped too. He climbed up onto the table and made sure that we didn't have too much dough. I guess he figured that since Zaylee and I were grabbing handfuls out of the bowl, he should be too!).

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.


Yummmmmm!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Snickerdoodles have always been a favorite of mine. I made snickerdoodle blossoms a while back and they were great. Just press a hershey's kiss into the center of the cookie when it comes out of the oven... it holds its shape, but when you take a bite the chocolate is all gooey! YUM

Beth said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuummy! Now I'm going to have to go bake some snickerdoodles! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

joannabug said...

My grandma made these for me growing up--she still does.

Yum! And good memories. :-)

Katy ~ said...

Love snickerdoodles! I only had them the first time a few years ago myself as I thought they would be too plain, but there's big taste and satisfaction in their simplicity. Tasty post!

American Homemaker said...

I really, really suck at making snickerdoodles.

Michele said...

ooh, guess what I'll be baking today? I'll post my results on my blog, thanks so much for another delicious recipe!