Friday, September 4, 2009

Chocolate Mush

I was making cornmeal mush this morning and suddenly decided it would be fun to change it up a bit. So I added cocoa powder. It turned out really yummy, similar to chocolate Malt-O-Meal, but at a fraction of the cost. The kids and I just ate it up! It makes a fun change to what has become a breakfast staple at our house.


Chocolate Mush
1 cup corn meal
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup cold water
3 cups boiling water

Combine corn meal, salt, cocoa, vanilla, and cold water; pour into boiling water, stirring quickly.

Return to boil, stirring constantly.

Lower heat to medium-low, cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with milk and sugar (we like using brown sugar).

8 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I love hot cereals. This sounds great!!

Marisa said...

What a creative twist on mush!

Unknown said...

i recently discovered mush and it is wonderful. mmmm with chocolate what a fab idea.

Katy ~ said...

You are clever! Never would have thought of this in a hundred years!

Dianna said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try this. My little one loves mush, but I'm sure he'll love chocolate even more.

Zom G. said...

Yum! We made this for breakfast today & my toddler loved it! It may be the first time in a week that he actually ATE breakfast. Thank you!

Zen Momma said...

We have this occasionally in our house and it's always a hit. I like to crack an egg in the mash for some added protein. Or PB goes well too!

Zen Momma said...

We occasionally make this for breakfast and it's always a hit with my kids. I like to crack an egg into the mash for some added protein. Yum! Thanks for sharing.