Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pumpkin Bread (Well, Not Really...)

Here's another delicious autumn-inspired sweet bread. This was originally a recipe for pumpkin bread, but I had some other squash that needed to be used. So I made a crookneck squash/acorn squash bread. I also added raisins and chocolate chips just for fun, and doubled the recipe to make two delicious loaves. I'm really not sure what to call this, so I'll go ahead and keep calling it pumpkin bread, but just know that you can use any pureed squash or combination of squashes and get delicious results.


Pumpkin Bread
3 cups flour
1 tsp. of salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups pumpkin puree or other squash puree, canned or made from fresh
1 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 cup raisins
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.

Mix the pumpkin, oil, eggs, 1/4 cup of water, and spices together, then combine with the dry ingredients, but do not mix too thoroughly. Stir in the raisins and chocolate chips.

Pour into 2 well-buttered 9x5x3 inch loaf pans. Bake 50-60 minutes until a thin skewer poked in the very center of the loaf comes out clean. Turn out of the pans and let cool on a rack.


I have two big cans of pumpkin puree and lots of big, shiny apples that are just itching to be used in more delicious autumn goodies. I'll probably wait until this bread is all eaten before making more; gotta ration my overeating, you know. But I'm so excited about fall and getting to make lots of wonderfully and warmly spiced baked goods!

7 comments:

Marisa said...

What a creative way to use up stuff lying around. I bet it would be delicious!!!

Kasha said...

That looks amazing! How did you know I would throw chocolate chips in it! Thank you!

Katy ~ said...

Looks hearty! I've been dreaming about pumpkin bread too. Tis that time of year I think.

Formosan at Heart said...

I tried this today! I made sweet potato bread instead and with cranberries.. very delicious, but I think the spices were a bit over powering. I will definitely make this again since it's such a simple recipe :)

Valerie said...

Looks like fall!

Rochelle Foster said...

I made this last week, as I had some left over pumpkin puree from a frozen dessert recipe I used it for, and am just finishing the last piece now with a cup of cocoa on a cold day here in England. Delicious!!!

I didn't use chocolate chips, but rather broke a dark chocolate bar down into chunks. Yum!

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Instead of having to buy all those different spices, why not just use pumpkin pie spice? The ingredients in pumpkin pie spice are cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. Unless you already have all these spices on hand it'd be more convenient. Or you could make your own pumpkin pie spice.. Yeah, that'd be cool..