Sunday, June 22, 2008

Crock Pot Breakfast Risotto


I am a frequenter of the blog A Year of CrockPotting and yesterday found a really great-looking recipe I had to try. It was called CrockPot Breakfast Risotto, and it looked like it would be really good. I put the ingredients together in the crock pot last night before going to bed (after changing the recipe around as I nearly always do!), then got up around 4:30 to turn on the pot and let it cook. Unfortunately, my little crock pot doesn't heat the same as a larger one. When we got up this morning, the rice was still hard, and the liquid pretty much unabsorbed. I finished cooking the risotto on the stove. Next time, I'll save myself a bunch of trouble by just turning on the pot before I go to bed.

Other than the problems getting the stuff cooked, we all really enjoyed this recipe. It tasted fabulous - creamy and flavorful.

Crock Pot Breakfast Risotto
2 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup rice (arborio works best, I used long-grain)
3 tbsp. brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
Dash nutmeg
Dash cloves
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup apple juice
1 cup evaporated milk

Melt butter in crock pot. Add rice and stir around to coat the rice with the butter. Sprinkle sugar and spices on top of rice. Combine apple juice and evaporated milk; pour over rice. Stir around a bit. Cover and cook until rice is done and liquid is absorbed. I really don't know how long this should cook. According to the recipe, you should cook it on high for 3-5 hours, or on low for 6 hours. I had mine cooking for a little over 3 hours, and it wasn't done, but that's just my crock pot. So basically, cook it until it's done.

This is good served with fruit and milk. We used some canned peaches and it tasted so great!

This makes 3 servings. If you need more, you can just double the recipe.

No comments: