Friday, June 20, 2008

Corn Dog Bread

Okay, this one was invented as a simple, quick, yet delicious lunch. Everyday Food Storage had a recipe for corn dogs that involved cooking corn bread with a hot dog on a sandwich maker. But I don't have a sandwich maker. I kept wracking my brains trying to figure out how I could make something similar using what I have available. Finally, I decided I would just mix hot dog pieces in with the corn bread batter, bake it like normal, and call it good!


Corn Dog Bread
2 hot dogs, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil

Saute hot dog pieces in a skillet coated with cooking spray. Set aside. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl combine eggs, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture and hot dog pieces all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

Serve warm with butter, or with ketchup and mustard.

Next time I make this I will definitely use more hot dogs, probably at least four. These were good, but just needed a bit more hot dogs!

No comments: