Monday, March 17, 2008

Irish Soda Bread


Here's a little recipe in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Yum!

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (as I type this, I suddenly realized I left out the salt in my loaf - oops!)
1/4 cup cold butter
1 cup golden raisins (I used regular)
1 3/4 cups buttermilk (I used milk and lemon juice - 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice and enough milk to make 1 3/4 cup)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Place on an ungreased baking sheet; pat into a 7-inch round loaf.

Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-inch cross about 1/4 in. deep on top of the loaf (once again, I notice a mistake I made - my cross was a lot bigger than 1 inch). Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments: