Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Maple Breakfast Cake


We were up kind of early (for me) this morning, so I decided we had time for one of those fancier breakfasts where you actually put more work into it than pulling out a box of cereal and a carton of milk. Enter the Internet, where there are millions of recipes at my fingertips, and I can just pick and choose. I googled "breakfast cake" and came up with a whole lot of ideas, ranging from the typical coffee cake with cinnamon crumb topping to fruit-and-cream-cheese masterpieces. One in particular caught my eye, because it looked like a loaf of bread, but was described as tasting like a pancake. So I chose to make Maple Breakfast Cake from everybody likes sandwiches.


Maple Breakfast Cake
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
2 T butter, melted (or vegetable oil)
3/4 c maple syrup
1 c milk
1/4 t vanilla
Recipe also calls for walnuts, but I don't have any. Frugal recipe tip: if you don't have an ingredient, pretend it's not in the recipe!

1. Mix together flour, soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.

2. In a smaller bowl combine and blend remaining ingredients. Stir liquid ingredients into dry.

3. Spread batter in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.


As this was baking this morning, it smelled so heavenly! The maple really makes the cake.

As we were eating, Zaylee suddenly blurted out, "Mommy, it's my hand!" I wasn't sure what she meant until she carefully placed her hand on her piece of bread. Sure enough, it was her hand!

1 comment:

Clarity said...

Oh I am glad I found your blog! I adore cake almost as much as sushi, perhaps more. I wonder if this recipe would work as well with honey?

Will keep an eye out for your culinary experiments. Hope that you can drop by my blog too.

Clarity