Saturday, July 12, 2008

Biscuits and Gravy

Today being Saturday, we had more of a brunch than a breakfast. And it was a fancier meal than I usually start the day with (it's hard to not be fancier than cold cereal). I can't take credit for this breakfast, because I slept in while Jeff got up with the kids and did the cooking. And cleaning as well - when I finally crawled out of bed, the living room had been cleared and vacuumed, the kitchen swept, and Jeff was working on the dishes. What a great guy!

I hung out with the kids while Jeff cooked. The smells coming out of the kitchen were so good! And here is what Jeff produced, all by himself:


Biscuits and Gravy

Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk

Heat oven to 450 degrees.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening using pastry blender or criss-crossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk until dough leaves side of bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).

Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2 to 2 1/4-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart for crusty sides, touching for soft sides.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.


I love this biscuit recipe. Look at them - they practically split themselves!


Turkey Sausage Gravy
1/4 cup diced onion
2-3 oz. ground turkey sausage, formed into bite-sized chunks
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chives
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Salt to taste
All these seasoning measurements are approximate - you can use whatever herbs and spices appeal to you, in whatever amounts you see fit.

Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add onions and sausage; cook until sausage is done and onions are a little caramelized (Jeff really likes caramelized onions. If you don't, that's okay, just cook until the meat is done).

In a separate saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Whisk in milk, and cook until thickened and bubbly. Add sausage-onion mixture, and remaining ingredients. Serve over biscuits.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I love a good biscuit and gravy! But I have a confession-I never make my own gravy. Out here there is this wonderful restaurant called Bob Evens and they make they best sausage gravy. The best! Lucky me they also sell it at local grocery stores. I always buy the Bob Evans gravy. Bob Evens is half the reason I wanted to move back to the Midwest! :-)
One of these days I'll actually try making my own gravy...Like when we leave this area and I can't buy it! :-)
And how nice of your husband too!

Michelle said...

Wow! I'm impressed! Mark loves to cook breakfast too, it's his favorite meal and he'd eat it three times a day if I let him. :-) I love biscuits and sausage gravy, so fattening and filling. Mmmmm. And that's so sweet of him to cook this morning. Mark cooked for the boys while I went to an RS brunch and when I got back 3 hours later the table was still full of dishes and food, and William was sitting in the middle of a huge pile of carnation instant breakfast pile on the middle of the table drawing with ketchup from off of Oren's hashbrowns. Good grief.