Monday, July 21, 2008

Crock Pot Pineapple Chicken


This recipe comes from A Year of CrockPotting. I had a chicken leg quarter thawed in the fridge, so I looked up all of her chicken recipes. This one caught my eye because I love pineapple with savory dishes (like pizza, Hawaiian haystacks, etc), and it only had a small handful of ingredients. It looked really good, and really easy (most of her recipes do look good and easy). So I made it, and it ended up being both! I did decide to thicken the pan juices into a gravy, and add pineapple juice to sweeten it. That turned out great.

I served this with steamed broccoli, seasoned with Chinese five spice and garlic powder.

Crock Pot Pineapple Chicken
Enough chicken for four
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 20-oz. can pineapple chunks
1 tsp. crushed red peppers
Cornstarch

Place chicken in crock pot. Drain pineapple chunks (save the juice), and add to crock pot with soy sauce and red peppers. Cook on low 4-6 hours or on high 3-4 hours.


When the chicken is done, remove chicken and pineapple from the pot. Pour pan juices from the crock pot into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat on the stove. Whisk together reserved pineapple juice and cornstarch (I didn't measure - I think it was about 2-4 tbsp). Whisk pineapple/cornstarch mixture into pan juices, and heat and stir until thickened and bubbly.

Serve chicken, pineapple, and gravy over rice.


This had a great flavor, but I think it was a bit too strong. The pineapple chunks soaked up the salty flavor of the soy sauce and they were very salty. Next time I would probably substitute water for half the soy sauce, to make a milder flavor. That being said, I'm pretty sure there will definitely be a next time, because this was such a simple, delicious recipe.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I love crock pot chicken. Pineapple and soy sauce is yummy, kind of a teriaki?

And yes, anchovies in meatballs. I didn't use actual anchovies from the cans, because I don't have a food processor to grind it in with the bread and meat. I used anchovy paste, it comes in a tube like a metal bacitracin tube, where you squeeze it a little and it keeps coming out. I got mine at Albertsons, it has some more of the gourmet stuff than our other local stores. I don't remember where I found it. You don't taste the anchovies at all, just makes it deeper, and adds a little salt. I have used it in a mushroom dish, and seriously, the result is yummy, not fishy at all. Give it a shot sometime! :-)

Barbara Bakes said...

I left you a little award on my blog! Have a great week!

Jaime said...

i love my crockpot. your dish looks delicious...but i can say that i've made this and wasn't a big fan. it was ok, but not great. your photos look so good it makes me want to try it again though :)

Stephanie said...

Jaime - Like I said at the very end of the post, maybe it would work a little better to substitute water for some of the soy sauce. And I really liked the gravy I made by adding in the pineapple juice with some corn starch, that helped with making a better flavor.