Monday, October 25, 2010

Green Tomato ... Jam?

Hello, autumn weather! We had a stormy, windy, frosty night last night, which means it's time to bring in the green tomatoes. Do you have any idea how many green tomatoes you get from 19 tomato plants? A lot more than I currently know what to do with! So far we've brought in three large bowls brimming over with green tomatoes - at least 16 quarts. And that's just from three or four plants.

Anticipating a large green tomato crop, I've been looking up recipes for green tomatoes. This is one I found particularly interesting. Mixing green tomatoes, sugar, and jello to make jam definitely isn't something I would have thought to do, but the recipe had pretty good reviews, so I decided to give it a go.


Green Tomato Jam
4 cups shredded green tomatoes (I just tossed the tomatoes in the food processor)
4 cups white sugar
1 6-oz. box flavored gelatin mix (original recipe calls for raspberry)

Combine tomatoes and sugar in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir and cook about 10 minutes. Add the gelatin, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Spoon into hot, sterilized jars and seal; or, pour into freezer containers and freeze.

This turned out similar to the orange pear jam I made last year, which is also made using jello. And it was easy to make; the hardest part was standing there stirring it. I made three batches, using lime jello, strawberry jello, and then orange jello. I ended up with about 8 1/2 pints.


I'm sure I'll be posting a few more green tomato recipes in the near future, I still have a lot of tomatoes to use!

And another picture, just because I think this jam is so pretty!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Seems like I heard from someone a long time ago that you can store green tomatoes a certain way and they will eventually ripen...can't remember any details, but I imagine if you are looking for green tomato info already that you'll find something like that. I've never heard of making jam with jello...interesting.

Katy ~ said...

New one on me, but I am sure I would enjoy it. (smacking my lips!) My mother used to make jars and jars of green tomato relish.

Unknown said...

I love nice pickle green tomato chips on a hamburger and green cherry tomatoes are like cocktail onions.
FREAKIN Love pickled green tomatoes
use ur fav pickle recipe

Unknown said...

pickled green tomatoes are bomb on a burger and pickled green cherry tomatoes with cocktails.
I use my fav pickle recipe or some stores sell ready made packages.