Friday, March 5, 2010

Biscuit Pudding

I love biscuits - rolled biscuits, drop biscuits, homemade biscuits, pop-the-can biscuits, all of them are so delicious! Hot and steaming, right out of the oven with butter melting down the sides, ooooohhhh, they're just so good.

But what happens when you don't eat them all right away, and they sit around overnight? They get kind of "blah" and unappetizing. No matter what I try, I haven't found a way to make leftover biscuits taste as wonderful as fresh-from-the-oven biscuits. The texture is dryer, the flavor blander. So usually, if we have leftover biscuits from a meal, they just sit around until they get rock hard and we throw them out.

NO LONGER! This morning I decided that I was going to come up with a way to use the golden brown chunks of used-to-be deliciousness left over from last night, a way to turn them into something absolutely wonderful. And I believe I was successful - I now look forward to having leftovers the next time we make biscuits because I'll be able to make this delicious dish again!


All I did was use a simple recipe for bread pudding, and substitute chunks of day-old biscuit for the cubes of bread. And thus I created Biscuit Pudding, a deliciously soft, moist, and custardy dish that is equally good as a breakfast or a dessert. No more bland leftover biscuits sitting around waiting to be thrown away.

Hooray for the frugality and tightwaddery that runs deep in my veins, that allows me to experiment with breathing new life into old foods.


Biscuit Pudding
2 1/4 cups milk
2 slightly beaten eggs
2 to 3 cups day-old biscuits, torn into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup raisins

Combine milk and eggs, pour over biscuit chunks. Add remaining ingredients, toss to blend.

Spread mixture in a greased 8-inch baking dish. Set dish in a shallow pan on oven rack. Pour hot water around it 1 inch deep. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

6 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

What a great idea Stephanie!

Ann said...

I love biscuit pudding. The Martha White website has a wonderful recipe for biscuit pudding that is something like your's.
Another way I use leftover biscuits is to freeze them and then when I'm making dressing - stuffing to anyone living outside the south - I use the leftover bisuits for that. I've even been known to make biscuits specifically for dressing because I think they are much better than bread for it.

Katy ~ said...

Excellent, excellent, excellent!! YAY on having a delicious way to use leftover biscuits. Thank you sooooo much!!

Anonymous said...

We have the exact same problem here at our home. Thanks for saving my poor little biscuits from oblivion.
I also love Ann's comment about saving them for stuffing. What great ideas!
Ana

The Woodlands said...

Awesome! We have some day-plds hanging out on the kitchen counter right now...I am going to make this tonight!

Julie said...

I've never heard of biscuit pudding, sounds delish!