Friday, March 6, 2009

Fudgy Rich Brownies

I made these for our monthly Girls' Night Out tonight. We were going to have brownie sundaes, with brownies, and vanilla ice cream, and bananas, and caramel, and...

...My car died. Jeff tried to go to work this morning, but the car wouldn't start so he had to take the train. It's still not working, so I couldn't go to the Girls' Night Out. So sad, and so disappointing! But I was able to comfort myself with the fact that I still had these brownies!


I used this recipe to make these deliciously dark, rich, fudgy brownies. The directions are strange; I've never seen a brownie recipe quite like this one. But I'm not questioning - they turned out wonderful! These are a rich and dark brownie, not overly sweet. I love them!!

Fudgy Brownies
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
Optional: chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

In a large bowl, stir together the cocoa and baking soda. Add 1/3 cup vegetable oil and boiling water. Mix until well blended and thickened. Stir in the sugar, eggs, and remaining 1/3 cup oil. Finally, add the flour, vanilla and salt (and choc. chips if desired); mix just until all of the flour is absorbed. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.


Weird directions. But somehow it definitely worked!!

12 comments:

Leslie M. said...

Hiya Steph!!! Invite me over!!!! My favorite is BROWNIES!!!!
Then is will be Girls night IN! hahah

Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
http://leslielovesveggies.blogspot.com/

Meg said...

Sorry you didn't make it to girl's night out! The brownies look so fudgy!

Melanie said...

Bummer that you couldn't make it to your girls' night! But the brownies look fantastic and if it were me, I would have eaten the whole batch to soothe my wounds for not being able to go.

Rebekah said...

hope your car gets to feeling better. at least you have the trax!

these brownies look yum and after the day i've had, they might be coming out of my oven tomorrow!! ooohhhhh chocolate!

American Homemaker said...

We totally missed you! And now you're taunting me with the brownies I didn't get :(

The banana person didn't come either, so we just had ice cream sundaes.

Fyre said...

I just had to stop by and tell you that I love your blog! All the recipes look divine, and my boyfriend has already asked me to make your shrimp dip!

Will be looking forward to more goodies in the future!

Maria said...

Brownies are my weakness, these look SO good!

Barbara Bakes said...

Good thing you had your brownies to comfort you. It is an unusual recipe - looks fudgy and delicious though!

Talita said...

Yummmm!! This crunchy top looks delicious!

Laura said...

Stepanie,
As I was posting the recipe for no bakes today, I was thinking it would be fun to try omiting the cocoa for just a peanut butter version. Good to know it works. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Are you ok? You haven't posted anything new in a week.

Raainwitch said...

Hi Stephanie, I gave you an award. I'm not sure how this works, but check out my blog for details. :-)