Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Be It Ever So Humble


When you're on a tight budget, you learn to accept the fact that sometimes you have to cook and eat things that are not exactly restaurant-worthy. This can be especially true when you decide that you're just not motivated to make a big fancy meal, or spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Sometimes you just gotta make something fast, cheap, and effortless. This was one of those dinners.

I started by making Southern Hoe Cake, substituting whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup of the white. As it finished baking, I realized I needed something to go with it, so I thawed out a bag of cooked garbanzo beans (1 1/2 cups, plus about 1/2 cup broth) I had in the freezer. I heated the beans and broth on the stove, and seasoned them with cumin and House Seasoning. When they were hot, I thought that the broth was a bit too watery, so I used a spoon to smoosh the beans a bit so they would soak in more broth.

The result was a very humble, but very delicious meal. It was fast and easy, and without having to resort to packaged convenience foods so it was budget-friendly. It was enough for my two little kids and I. To feed more, I would use two bags of cooked beans instead of one.

5 comments:

Meg said...

Yum! I have never heard of this! Looks yummy!

Jenny said...

Mmmm, sounds good to me and looks great! Congrats on your award, you've got a great blog here!

Michelle said...

My dinner was very frugal too... My friend wanted my cheesy biscuit cups so she bought all the stuff and came over with puppy dog eyes to ask if I would make them. How could I resist? :-)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Sounds good to me! I would have baked beans on toast if I was in a hurry or watching the pennies :) I may have to add this to my list now!

priscilla joy said...

looks yummy....i love garbanzo beans in hummus!