Monday, July 7, 2008

Brown Sugar Oat Mini Muffins


I've been craving some home-baked anything for days now, but haven't had the time nor energy to make anything. This morning I was finally able to take the time to whip something up. I found a yummy-looking muffin recipe that I had to try. Oats and whole wheat make this wholesome and hearty, and all that brown sugar gives it a rich flavor that is sweet, but not too sweet. Definitely a good muffin!

Brown Sugar Oat Mini Muffins
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry milk solids (powdered milk)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla

In a small bowl, combine the oats, flours, milk powder, baking powder, and salt. In another small bowl beat together the eggs, brown sugar, water, oil, and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.

Fill greased miniature muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 9-11 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

If you choose to use a full-sized muffin tin, fill the cups 2/3 full, and bake for 15-17 minutes.

I ended up with more batter than would fill 24 mini muffin cups. I could have filled some regular muffin cups with the rest, but decided to get a little creative. Remember that microwave chocolate cake?


I did pretty much the same thing with the remaining muffin batter. I sprayed a microwave-safe glass bowl with cooking spray, then spooned in the muffin batter. I covered it with plastic wrap, and microwaved on high for 5 minutes, until the top sprang back when I pressed on it. We ate this for lunch (despite it being something you'd typically see for breakfast). It was delicious spread with some cream cheese frosting. What a treat!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love the idea of a microwave cake. My kids love mini muffins, just right for their hands.

I voted white with a fancy header. Maybe put a picture, possibly faded (lower saturation) or black and white behind your title or something. Although color would look awesome too. Like, your favorite picture on your food blog. Good luck, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!