Monday, May 25, 2009

Hashbrown Casserole

Casseroles tend to be some of the ugliest foods you can possibly make. Seriously, I don't think I've ever had a truly photogenic casserole. That said, this is one of the tastiest unphotogenic casseroles I've ever eaten.

This is one of the recipes that my mom would make when I was growing up. Actually, that's technically not entirely true - she first made it when I was a teenager. But I still had a bit of growing up to do at that point so I guess I can still say that. Anyway, no matter how long it's been since the first time I tried it, I still very much love it every time I eat it! It's a rich, fattening casserole that is full of comfort food goodness. Yummy potatoes baked with a tangy, cheesy, creamy sauce - yum! I made it tonight because it's a pregnancy craving I've been feeling for at least a week. Had to have it.

The recipe calls for frozen hashbrowns, but you can also use tater tots or other form of frozen potato food.

Hashbrown Casserole
2 lb. frozen hashbrowns
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) margarine, melted
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
16 oz. sour cream
1 lb. shredded cheese
1 lb. ground sausage or hamburger, cooked (having an aversion to ground beef lately, I skipped this)

Spread hashbrowns in bottom of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with cooked meat. Mix soup, cheese, margarine, salt, and pepper. Pour over hashbrowns. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. You can sprinkle additional cheese on top.

This time I only made a half recipe; the full thing is a bit large for our little family, plus I only had enough sour cream for half. I didn't have frozen hashbrowns (we rarely buy them), so I microwave-baked one pound of fresh potatoes (3-4 medium) and diced them up. Since the potatoes were already fully cooked and I was only using an 8-inch baking pan, I was able to get away with cooking the casserole for only half an hour. I also skipped the additional cheese on top. Prepared this way, the casserole was even cheaper than usual. But still just as delicious!


The American Homemaker said...

Looks just about like funeral potatoes :)

Katy ~ said...

We make something similar and it is VERY good. Yumm....

HoneyB said...

I have never had anything like this but it sounds yummy! I totally understand about cravings and having to give in...

Heidi said...

It may not be pretty, but it sure looks delicious! I love hash brown casserole.

Dr. Alice said...

I am afraid to tell you how many times I have made the hashbrown casserole since you posted the recipe. It's fantastic, I might even say addictive. I like it fine without the hamburger - in fact I think that would be overkill.