Saturday, May 17, 2008

Jenny W's Citrus Sweet Bread Glaze

Jenny W. was my absolutely awesome roommate my freshman year at college. This recipe was one of our house favorites - we would gather around the table with a fresh loaf of banana bread and a bowl of citrus glaze and we would down the whole thing! When I made this glaze again today to go with the nut bread, this brought back so many memories of great times together with my roommates. Jenny, I'll always remember you and your wonderful bread and glaze!!

Citrus Sweet Bread Glaze
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2-2/3 cup canned milk (I think we used sweetened condensed milk back in the day, but today I tried evaporated milk and it still tasted great)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar

Combine butter, milk, and sugar in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until the sugar melts into the mixture. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. You can adjust the powdered sugar until it is sweet to your liking. Refrigerate until thickened.
Use this to glaze sweet breads (banana bread, zucchini bread, nut bread, etc). You can glaze the whole loaf or individual slices. I have it pictured with just the bread and the glaze, but it's also great if you butter the slice and then glaze it. You can also use it over cake, or even cookies!

The original notecard recipe, written out by Jenny W. herself:

No comments: