Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cream of Broccoli Soup

I used a recipe for Basic Cream of Vegetable Soup to make this warm and comforting dinner. After all the dips, spread, crackers, and chips at the church social this afternoon, I really needed something simple, healthy, and sort of "homespun" this evening. I liked this soup a lot (as did Thomas, he's busy scarfing down his third serving right now). I find it superior to the canned variety of cream soup - it's more flavorful and healthier. There's more calcium and other nutrients, and less sodium. All around good stuff.


Creamy Broccoli Soup with Cheese
1 cup frozen broccoli
1/2 small onion, diced
3 cups milk
1 tsp. bouillon, optional
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup shredded cheese

Combine broccoli, onion, milk, and bouillon in saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until broccoli is tender, stirring frequently. This took me about 40 minutes. You don't want to cook the broccoli quickly because the milk will scald and that changes the texture.

Once the broccoli is tender, you can either blend it for a smooth soup or mash it with a potato masher for a chunkier soup. Since my blender is dirty and I don't have an immersion blender (someday, sigh), I decided that I would definitely prefer a chunky soup today!

Gradually whisk in flour and cheese. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until the soup is thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.


To make this with other vegetables, simply substitute other veggie of choice for the broccoli. You can use peas, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, corn, celery, potatoes, etc. The cheese is optional. I can't wait to try a cream of potato soup, yum!

6 comments:

Katy said...

Yummmm. I've never made this soup before. Now I will have to!

Anonymous said...

I WILL be trying this one soon! thanks!

Meg said...

Looks amazing!

Joyce said...

Low sodium is good since so many soups are so high in sodium. You have a nice blog and good recipes.
Joyce

Adriana said...

I made this for dinner, to accompany our homemade pizza. I used frozen roasted sweet corn from Trader Joe's, it was wonderful!! Thank you for this great recipe!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I just made this soup for supper tonight, and it is sooo good.