Sunday, January 11, 2009

Spice Bread from Biscuit Mix


I'm lovin' my biscuit mix! Last night I made some quick bread with the homemade mix, and I am pleased to report that it worked wonderfully. I never would have thought that you could use biscuit mix to make a quick bread! But you can, and it works!

Spice Bread
3 cups biscuit mix
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup milk or water

Preheat oven to 350 and generously grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and nuts until blended. Combine egg and milk or water in a small bowl. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Blend. Pour batter into prepared pan. Level top of batter with a spoon. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. My loaf wasn't done in 45 minutes, so I kept checking every five minutes, and it ended up taking about 60-65 minutes. So if the toothpick doesn't come out clean the first time, keep checking every few minutes until it does.

Let stand 5-10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.


I didn't get pictures of the bread sliced, as it was for a church function and I brought it whole. So I just have a couple bad-lighting-because-it-was-dark-outside pictures of the whole loaf (p.s. It looks burnt on the corner but that's just the lighting - it wasn't overly done at all). But it did slice nicely, and from what I heard, it was enjoyed by everyone who tried some. I had a piece and really liked it. Jeff liked it so much he had four pieces.

So there you have it, yet another fun recipe for using homemade biscuit mix.

8 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I never would have thought of make bread from biscuit mix. Great idea!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Is that what we would call a scone recipe in Scotland, do you know?

Kaitlin said...

yum yum that looks great

Janelle said...

Ok, I made this tonight, but I used a different biscuit mix. Awhile back, I made a whole wheat biscuit mix and nobody liked the biscuits it produced. So it's been sitting in the pantry. I thought this was GREAT to use it up! Well, with the wheat mix, it was very dry and crumbly. But the flavor was terrific! I think I'll try it again, but I'll add more moisture, like some applesauce or oil. Everyone loved how it tasted, but I'd really like it to be more moist. Thanks for the recipe, and for helping me use up that hated biscuit mix!! :-)

Stephanie said...

Holler - I really don't know. I think your scones are more like our biscuits, maybe? This is similar to banana bread or zuchinni bread, but without the vegetables.

Janelle - It's possible that your biscuit mix doesn't use as much fat (shortening) as the one I use. So applesauce or oil should moisten it up a bit. My bread wasn't quite as moist as quick breads sometimes are, but it wasn't dry or crumbly. So yeah, I think just add the applesauce or oil. Glad to help you use up the wheat biscuit mix!

Valerie said...

I found your blog through Modern Molly Mormons. I love baking and cooking so I'll have to come back to look through more of your recipes with great photos!

Tina Butler said...

Stephanie that looks really good and so easy. Who would of thought to use a biscuit mix.

~~louise~~ said...

Clever idea Stephanie. Quick Mix, quick bread, GREAT results!

Thanks for sharing...