Friday, February 22, 2008

Chalupa

This is a recipe we had when I was growing up, and I always enjoyed it. However, I didn't take it with me when I moved out. So we were happy to find it on a bag of pink beans. It's just as yummy as I remembered, and easy to make.



1 lb. pink beans, rinsed and drained (pintos are an acceptable substitute)

3 lb. pork roast

7 cups water

1/2 cup onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tbsp. salt

2 tbsp. chili powder

1 tbsp. cumin

1 tsp. oregano

1 can chopped green chiles (4 oz.)

Corn chips

Put all ingredients except corn chips in dutch oven, electric crockery cooker, or heavy kettle. Cover and simmer about 5 hours (on high in the crock pot, probably about medium to medium low on the stove), or until roast falls apart and beans are done. Uncover and cook about 1/2 hour to the desired thickness. Serve with corn chips and pass condiments for choice of toppings: (chopped tomato, chopped avocado, chopped onion, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, hot sauce).

No comments: